Saturday, May 22, 2010

Everyone has a story...Jason and Jennifer

I never meet a stranger...ever! Everyone has a story and I want to hear it! I often think how my life would be different if I rushed by everyone quietly. If you know me well…well, you know that I have only been quiet in a church or library and only because it’s the thing to do. My life has been touched by so many of these encounters. It was a chance meeting at a pharmacy counter that I would meet a Mom as we were both waiting on prescriptions for our children. She and I struck up a conversation and started a business together. Suwanee Days years ago allowed me to meet the most talented friend I know. She can literally make something amazing out of anything…you should visit Ambiance Interiors in Suwanee and check it out. It was through my son, Curt (yes, we can pass this gift to our children) that gave me my Texas daughter, Alisha. I have thousands of stories….it’s now necessary as 29 again approaches and the memory begins to “cough cough” fade that I take the time to write these down. Feel free to share in the moments!


Our encounter with the Model A (we have discovered that the unoccupied runaway destroyer was an A not a T) sent me to a physical terrorist..um, I mean therapist. It’s the 7:30 am appointments that are causing me the most pain! There is something about bodily injury that forms a common bond among strangers. Most of the conversation in the room is filled with moans and grunts from patients recovering from double knee replacement, football injuries, etc.

It was during my 7:30 am appointment yesterday that I struck up a conversation with the guy named Jason that was lying on the bed next to mine. He and I were enjoying the first part of the visit…the moist heat! We both agreed that it the moist heat was the only reason we were able to get up so early to make the appointment. Jason said that he had been coming for over a year and his relationship with our male therapist was his second longest relationship. Moist heat and laughter at 7:30 am..not a bad appointment. Jason then headed for his warm up with the treadmill. As he was walking, I noticed that he was wearing a Livestrong bracelet. I asked him why he wore the bracelet…you know curious minds want to know…well, this curious mind did! He said that he wears it for his friend that lost his battle with colon cancer at the age of 33 last year leaving behind a wife and daughter named Jennifer. A huge smile came across his face as he told me that he grew up in a small town in New York. He said there wasn’t much to do in his town except hang out with the friends in the neighborhood. They all could not wait to get out of that town and get on with their lives. The friends have since scattered all over the world. The death of their friend reunited 120 friends. On the anniversary of his death each one returns for a time of remembrance, fellowship, and opportunities to raise money for a college fund for the daughter of his friend. He said when Jennifer is ready to go to college the money will be there for her. I told him that this was an amazing story of friendship! And, asked him if this gave him comfort that his friends would be there for his family should anything happen to him. Jason said that they have all realized what a comfort it is to each of them. I told him that his story reminded me of Suwanee and the bonds that my sons have formed by living in a small town. Jason has two daughters and my hope for them is that they are able to form the bonds that will be their support when the tough times come. I realized that my 7:30 am appointment was healing to my heart, spirit, and body with a reminder of how precious lifelong friendships are to us all!

There are moments in our lives that happen with strangers if we only take the opportunity to get to know each other and allow ourselves the time to share a little of us with them. This was one of my moments.

Thank you Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment