Saturday, May 22, 2010

Everyone has a story...Winnie

I was raised by an Independent Baptist Evangelist. If you adjusted your underwear around them it was assumed that you were dancing. I believe it was the should not’s and can not’s that would lead to my interest in chatting with anyone that did not conform to what society expected. Much to my husband’s dismay, I will stop anyone with a grill, large holes in their ears, piercings, tattoo’s, etc. to find out how they brush their teeth or eat with their grill or where they bought it, if the loops in the ears, piercings, or tattoo’s hurt or why they chose that and where they put that.


It was black nail polish on a young man named Eric at the Camp Sunshine family retreat that interested me. “So, who tied you down and painted your fingernails”, I asked. He said, “My sisters”. We shared a laugh when I asked, “What did you do to get back at them?” Eric was quiet and battling Sarcoma. He looked fed up with the entire journey. And, I couldn’t blame him.

It was black nail polish that introduced me to Eric and his family. Our friendship grew as we would see each other at other family events. It was a visit at Egleston that brings a smile to my face when I think of Eric and his family. Homer, Eric’s dog peed on the floor in the hospital room. We all laughed at Homer and found a moment of a welcomed distraction to the obvious. That obvious day did come and this is where my story turns to my friend, Winnie.

My friend, Winnie is a very special Mom that opened her heart to a stranger and shared her son and his story. These strangers that became our friends gave me the gift of letting go when they shared their journey with us. It was during my last visit with Eric that Winnie asked if I would go to lunch with her and run an errand. When I asked about the errand Winnie said that she needed to prepare Eric’s obituary. I have faith and believe in miracles…where there is breath there is life. But, when my friend said, “Dee Ann, I need for you to let Eric go”, the moment took my breath away and changed me. Walking with a Mom as she makes preparation for letting go is one of the greatest honor a friend is given. Winnie taught me how to help others when the end comes. I will always cherish her gift! Attending Eric’s celebration service was not easy but I smiled as I noticed the black nail polish.

There are moments in our lives that happen with strangers if we only take the opportunity to get to know each other and allow ourselves the time to share a little of us with them. This was one of my moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment